Monday, May 18, 2009

Conversations with Justin

(Justin and I at his preschool's Mother's Day Tea Party)
Anyone who knows Justin knows he is a pretty funny little kid. Very quiet, but also very funny. Today is Justin's 5th birthday. I really cannot believe it. I think 5 is a very special birthday...it means kindergarten, and reading, and writing, and extra chores, and hopefully learning to swim without floaties, and maybe even ride a bike without training wheels...It's really a big age with a lot of possibilities. :) So I wanted to share a couple of conversations I've had with Justin recently that I think are funny and meaningful. Especially on his birthday.
Conversation #1:
Justin: Mom, I'm smarter than a 5th-year-old-grader, you know why?
Me: Why, hon?
Justin: Cause I know that anytime anybody gets hit by an asteroid they will be dead.
(I then burst out laughing)
Justin: (Looking deep into my eyes with a very serious look) It's true!
Me: Yes buddy, it is.
Justin: That is why we want no one of our family to go to outer space. O.k. mom?
Me: O.k. bud, I'll see what I can do.
(The above conversation may not sound as funny written down as it was in person, but I just loved it and thought it was hilarious. I wrote it down in my journal right after...so there it is, word for word. :) )
Conversation #2:
This short conversation took place a couple of weeks ago after Justin came running in the house from playing in the backyard. He just looked so happy and healthy and big and grown up and for some reason I was just hit by this feeling of time going by way too fast, so I said to him while giving him a huge hug...
Me: Justin, please stop growing!
Justin: (pulling back and again, looking deep into my eyes) But mommy, that is just the way how life is...growing!
I thought these were very wise words coming from a four-almost-five-year-old. And I thought it would be very fitting to share them right now on his birthday. I just have to say that I am a very lucky mom to have such a sweet and kind-hearted (and also crazy and fun) little boy in our family. I am so thankful for him and feel blessed beyond words.
Happy birthday Justin!!!

10 comments:

Sean said...

I think that first conversation was just as funny written down because I burst out laughing when I read it. And about that second conversation: I want Jessi to stop growing, too! She graduates from preschool today, and I'm feeling sad that she is growing up so fast.

Wendi said...

Happy birthday to your cute son. I love the conversations I have with Lance too. He's 10 now and I'm so thankful for him. Every family ought to have a boy! :)

Cara said...

So cute! I love that first conversation! That is so funny! Happy Birthday to Justin. :)

Wendi said...

By the way, I love, love, love the "priceless moments" pictures on your sidebar. :)

Kristine said...

So cute :) Happy Birthday Justin! The picture of the two of you is awesome!

Grapefruit said...

I love conversations like these. How fun it will be someday to go back and read them! Today Mitchell, out of nowhere, asked, "Mom. When you get hit by a car, you just go black, right? You don't die."

??????

Angela said...

Happy Birthday Justin! I hope you have a fantastic day.

I love those conversations. I laughed so hard at the asteroid one. Sounds like something Jaxton would say. I love the way you write. When I read it I can just hear you saying it. You are such a great person and mom!

Cardalls said...

Happy Birthday Justin! (it's my bday too today!) Little boys are so great and I laughed at the conversations too!

Colleen said...

Those were cute! I love the way kids brains work! What would we do without them? We'd all be pretty boring, I think!! Happy Birthday, Justin!

The Ririe's said...

Happy Birthday Justin! Carter and I just had that same conversation about growing...little boys are so funny. I am glad that Justin is such a good friend to Carter, he really is a sweet boy!