Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Joy of Reading

We have all been doing a lot of THIS this summer...

Which makes me very, very happy.


Justin has been learning to read for the past few weeks. He is doing a great job and I am so proud of my little guy. Of course it helps that he has such a wonderful big sister to teach him. :)


(My favorite books for teaching reading at home have been the Bob Books series. They are what I used to teach Emily how to read and how Justin is learning now. They are great.)


One of Emily and Justin's very favorite pretending games to play is Library. Last week we had Emily's friend Brenna over to play and they set up an awesome little library and had so much fun playing in it, and I had so much fun watching them...and taking pictures. :)

The library was organized so nicely with a fiction section,
a non-fiction section, and of course DVD's.


Here is Emily as the very helpful librarian...


Justin just browsing in the fiction section...Emily is more than happy to give him a suggestion. :)



The end.

(I am never sure about how to end my posts...it seems like the words "the end" always seems to wrap things up nicely. So I just keep on using them. :) )

12 comments:

Angela said...

That is too cute ! I love that they love reading so much. Jax learned to read with the bob bob books. They are great! Looks like a fun summer so far!

Wendi said...

I love the library pictures--with the helpful librarian. :)

Cara said...

Oh the library is just so cute! I love when my kids read too. My third is just starting to really pick it up. Fun!

Erin said...

I love this, and its wonderful that your family is discovering the joy of books. I keep taking Ethan and Kevin to the library and letting him walk around the kids section. Its great.

Sean said...

That's so cute! I love it when my kids read too but somehow pictures of teenagers reading aren't very cute :) Thanks for the pictures of the library. That reminded me about when my kids did that very thing at about Emily's age. I had forgotten. And I didn't take pictures either. You're smart. And I bet Emily is a very helpful librarian.

Grapefruit said...

I love watching my kids read, especially together! And does your house always look like that? Perfectly vacuumed carpet? Nothing on the floor? Spotless? How are we friends?

Colleen said...

I love it when kids start to read. I love watching them learn. How cute is that library!!? Love it! Cute pics.

Cheryl said...

I always love the creative things kids come up with. If you have any reading tips send them my way. I hope to try and teach Kylee this summer as well and got the book "Teach Your Child To REad in 100 Easy Lesson" We just got back from UT a few days ago and bumped into Paul and Amelia at Summerfest. I sure hope we all can see each other sometime soon.

Cardalls said...

Love the Bob Books...that's how both mine learned to read too. What a cute older sister! Your kids are so cute Lindsay!

The Ririe's said...

Thanks for the tip on the Bob Books...I will have to get some for Carter. It looks like so much fun - your kids are so cute together!

Christina said...

Your kids are so freaking sweet. I love the library. I probably would have been worried about the fact that I would have to clean them up afterwards. Lame. You are a very non lame mom.

Amy B said...

I have been using those red sam books - reading for all learners but they are so long- I will have to look into your books- thanks !